Thursday, July 16, 2009

Becky Parsons Memorial Library Project

Just wanted to update everyone on the project:

The idea was to create a reading nook in the school library to shelve the complete collection of Newberry and Caldecott award winning books. The space the library gave us is very large...sort of like a mini-amphitheather that the kids all sit in to hear stories read by the librarian when they have their weekly library time.

I met with several designers over the winter and received 3 proposals. All of them were so exceptionl, creative and amazing. We ended up choosing based on the experience of one of the designers. The space is going to highlight scenes and characters from the most popular and widely recognized Newberry and Caldecott books. The artist/designer has been working for several months on the mural, props, furniture, rugs, etc. and keeping me in the loop on all the decisions. The mural is being painted on canvas that will be applied to the wall and I have seen several sections of it. The librarian has ordered all the books. I think the end result is going to be incredible.

It's looking like we are going to dedicate the space at the school family picnic on September 11 and then also have a separate time for friends and family to come by and see it. At the dedication I will say some words about my mom and Savannah, Becca, and Savannah's classmates are going to sing. I'll post pictures of the finished space as well. I hope everyone can come by and see it as I really think it will blow you away.

Thanks again for the many generous donations. The reading nook is going to be so meaningful for us, especially Savannah, Becca, and Jack who are so very proud to show everyone what a special Nana they had.

No comments: